Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Spiritual Touch


A spiritual flash of insight here:

I was listening to lesson given in Relief Society on topic, "Sacrament" from Gospel Principle.

Teacher gave a loaded question: "How is Sacrament necessary for our Spiritual Growth?"

I did think about about it and realized the connection of my learning experience on the importance of touch. In intimate conversation between my sister, me, and my close friend, we talked about it and Susan mentioned to us that she learned from her mother in law about how humans need a minimum of eight touches per day. I recall how I read some concepts from "And They Were Not Ashamed" book talking about importance of being touched through a story of "Cipher in Snow" - a boy who died because of lack of touches/communication. The author pointed the comparison of touches in different cultures. I did think of stories how preemies thrived the best and left ICU soonest if the parents participated in technique known as "kangaroo Hold": holding small babies, using skin to skin contact. Another instance was how children in orphanages usually face late milestone development due to minimum amount of attention/touches compared to children being raised in loving environment. Therefore, we need to have physical touch (loving type) to survive.
I did think of how we need our spiritual touches with Heavenly Father in order to thrive.
Heavenly Father always is available but we need to be the ones to make that move. That is what faith means. And as we reach out, we make the connection. Through connection, are our spirits able to grow.
I came to understanding that through sacrament, we obtain the opportunity to do that. We need scripture studies, prayers, and may great other things that pull us toward to the Heavenly Father and move our spirits to reach out and touch. Without that would our spirits wither and die.

No comments: