Monday, August 25, 2008

Another Monday

Basically, we all have been doing nothing but sleeping, eating, school/work and soccer. Our kids go to their practices on Tuesday and their games on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturdays. I was being optimistic. I thought it wasn't too bad and it only lasts for a month and half. September 16 is the day of kids' last games.
One really insightful hit I got was last Wednesday. We were at Suzy's soccer game and there's a girl who have brother who is on Ian's soccer team. That boy was coupled with other boy, hanging out together. Ian saw them and saw how they got a garden snake. Ian became excited and wanted to hang out with them. I remember watching how he went and talked with them. They trotted to one part of field and sat there. Two boys got up and left Ian sitting there and left off. I remember seeing how Ian looked downcast. I waited until he came back to us. I asked him who the boys are. If he knows them. I then asked him how old they are. Then I asked him what they said to him. Ian became a bit distant and said, "I do not care what they say." I asked him same question again. He replied the same.
I said, "Of course, we NEED to care. The Lord want us to keep on caring and wants us to always have feelings. When we stop feeling, it is when we are in trouble." I then told Ian gently that it is good thing for him to feel something. It was when Ian wept into my shoulder. I told him that it is very good to cry. We then talked. Ian told me that two boys threatened him that they will kill him if he keeps on following him. (That threat is a turn off for me, to be honest with you . . . It really tells you what type of shows they watch or games they play with) ... Ian had his feelings hurt. He really wanted to see that garden snake.
I comforted him with a story of mine. I told him that there were some girls who were very rude to me and hurt my feelings. I told him that I forgave them and we became friends years later. I told him that we all need growing up and realize how insensitive we were. That girl was shocked when I told her what she did to me. She didn't remember it but realized how rude she was.
Ian seemed to be comforted with that information. There's so little comfort we can find in the ways of world.
I learned inadvertently from the words I spoke. As President Marion G. Romney echoed the following: "I always know when I am speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost because I always learn something from what I've said." Well, I learned at this very spot how diverged the roads world's and God's are. World teaches that we shouldn't feel so much. We should be harder and thick-skinned. Meanwhile, God teaches that we need to be more compassionate, loving, full of charity. It really hit me so hard and I realized all the more how I need to teach my children how to be God-like in that direction instead of telling, "steel yourself up. More hurt is coming." or "Ignore that boy. He just is a jerk." It misdirects my children and will only give them wrong strategies they need in overcoming the world. I do not want them to be too hardened that they cannot listen to the spirit. I wanted them to be always considerate, loving and tender-hearted. Those are what take them to the kingdom of God.
That is my insight for the week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh! The joys of being a soccer Mom! This year I only have 2 playing and both their games and their practices are on the same night across town from each other, more than half at the same exact time, otherwise they are an back to back. It's crazy but at least we get it over with in 2 days!

*ALLYSSA* said...

It's my turn with the football season! Argh! My two boys have practices and a game 4 times during the week. So basically, it's hard to find the time to do other things when trying to fit with the boy's schedule, but I will adjust. That's a good thing that you are able to confront Ian to express his feelings about what happened. It's tough to see it happen to your child.